Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

StarHub springs a surprise -- go reconfigure yourself!

It's been awhile since I have blogged about StarHub and its deteriorating service. My friend, Irene Hoe, who had numerous exchanges with the telco, is totally exasperated and has given up complaining.

My last feedback to the telco about its unfriendly website a few months ago, did not get response. I had wanted to use my points to offset my monthly subscription fee but could not find a telephone number to call despite scrutinising its website.

I wrote an email to its corporate communications people to give them the feedback, but they did not have the courtesy to acknowledge and reply.

Today, after returning home from lunch, I had a big surprise from the telco informing me that it was doing something which an IT-deficient person like me did not quite understand.

This following is part of the message that flashed on my screen when I logged on to the system...

Auto DNS Configuration

"Dear Customer,

Your PC/router DNS settings is currently configured to link to our decommissioned DNS server, and thus being re-directed to this webapge.

Please note that as your PC/router has been set to manual DNS settings, your internet access will be affected and must be re-configured to automatic DNS selection in order to restore normal internet access to your computer.

If you are not using a router or gateway in your home, please skip to the steps on configuring automatic DNS settings on your computer.

If you are using a router or gateway in your home, please disconnect your computer from the router/gateway and connect directly to your cable-modem. Ensure that you follow-thru with a reboot of the modem.

If you are still not able to access the internet via direct connection to your cable-modem after the reboot, please go to steps to configure automatic DNS settings on your computer.

If you are able to access the internet via direct connection to your cable-modem, your computer is already setup with automatic DNS settings.

However, if you are still unable to access the internet after reconnecting back the router, you will need to re-configure your router from manual to automatic DNS settings: usually by logging into the router's web configuration/management page.

Please refer below for the contact details of some popular router vendors' technical helpdesk, who can assist you in the re-configuration..."


This last paragraph really took the cake -- StarHub is asking me to contact the router vendor for help to reconfigure my computer settings!!!

After I read the notice, I tried to stay calm as I knew that blowing my top over a bunch of morons would not help me access my Internet.

I tried as best as I could to digest and understand what the telco was asking me to do. I decided to give it try and managed to finish every bit of the things that I was asked to do, ending with "flushing your DNS resolver cache."

But, unfortunately, it did not work. So I called up 1633 reluctantly. It took sometime before I got to speak to "WQ", who helpful and pleasant.

He got me to repeat what I had just done -- plus a little more. But it was without any success.

WQ decided it would have to do a 'house call' before the problem could be resolved.

When the StarHub technician, Anuar, came at 7 pm, he had no clue what I was telling him because no one had briefed him about the problem.

He was surprised to see the notification on my computer screen. Apparently, the telco had sent it out to its customers without first infoming its own staff about the reconfiguration plan.

To Anuar's credit, he did some tests on my router while, at the same time, rang headquarters to find out how to resolve the snag.

Soon, he realised that he had to plug into the router to do the reconfiguration. With detailed instructions from HQ, he managed to complete his job successfully,

Although I am happy to get my internet connections back after a few hours, I am not pleased with StarHub management and would like them the following questions:

1. Before they cut the internet connections, why weren't its customers given notice about its decommissioned server and the need to reconfigure the settings?

2. Why does it take its customers for granted by assuming that they would be able to perform the settings themselves?

3. Again, why does it take its customers for granted by asking them to contact the router vendors for technical assistance? Surely, this is the job of the telco?

4. Why did it not brief its technicians about its reconfiguration plans so that they would be better informed and thus be able to cope with the task ahead?

I hope Montefiore and his mighty men (and women) will have the courtesy, this time, to give us a response!!!

 

No comments: