Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Insurance company OAC 'refuses to help process an accident claim'

What really annoys me is when I come across someone refusing to perform a service when he has a duty to do so.

This morning when I read the papers, I came across a Forum Page letter in The Straits Times in which the writer, Wong Shi Shen, says that his insurance company refused to help him process an accident claim.

Here's the story for those of you who have missed it...

S'pore drivers at a disadvantage
"RECENTLY, I was involved in an accident with a Malaysian-registered car driven by a Malaysian motorist here. He and I agreed to lodge a police report and to submit our claims with our respective motor insurers.

But when I visited an authorised workshop of my insurer, Overseas Assurance Corporation (OAC), I was told that the workshop did not entertain claims against Malaysian drivers of Malaysian- registered cars because of the red tape involved. I was rebuffed by other similar workshops I called.

What was shocking was that the Malaysian driver managed to submit a claim against me. OAC informed me that it was increasing my premiums upon renewal because it had received a claim filed by the driver's Singapore workshop against me. The increase would be permanent if the claim succeeded.

When I asked OAC to process my claim because all other workshops had refused, OAC refused, stating that it was not a legal firm. I was given to understand that a Singapore motorist had to hire a lawyer to submit a claim for an accident in Singapore involving a Malaysian-registered car.

Till then, my impression was that one was covered for all accidents that happened on Singapore roads.

The irony must be obvious: Foreigners in a foreign-registered car can use Singapore workshops to make a claim for an accident against a local motorist in a Singapore-registered car plying Singapore roads.

Shouldn't the authorities ensure that the laws on our roads prioritise protection for Singapore motorists ahead of foreigners in foreign-registered vehicles?"

If what the writer says is true, I think the Monetary Authority of Singapore
should step in to put things right.

3 comments:

Anne H said...

Malaysian registered cars are some of the worst traffic offenders (unchecked!) in Singapore. They get away with it because there's little traffic police presence.

It's sheer irony that the Malaysian car could be repaired and the cost claimed by a Singapore workshop - against a Singaporean.

But it just goes to show the mindset that I have railed on and on about for years.

We pay lip service to our efficiency and effectiveness, but we do not walk the walk. Only talk and more talk.

Hazel Adams said...

Insurance companies are the most important part of an accident claims process. Without having some accident claim expert or consultant,it becomes so difficult to handle the whole process alone.

Ziana Roy said...

Thank you for sharing such great information.
It has help me in finding out more detail about best medical insurance